Bolton Golf Club was founded in 1891 when an enthusiastic band of golfers formed the first club on land in Green Lane, Farnworth, adjoining Bolton Cricket Club with the cricket pavilion being used as a temporary clubhouse.
This was followed by a move to Hollin Hey, Smithills where a 9 hole course was laid out in the vicinity of the moors.
Difficulties were encountered over the years with the land owner whose main interest was securing a good hay crop from the fairways.
The Committee therefore decided to look elsewhere to secure more long term arrangements and a site at Lostock Park was identified with a view to establishing an 18 hole course. However, it was not until 1911 that a substantial majority of members playing at Smithills agreed on amicable terms that Bolton Golf Club would move to Lostock Park, with those remaining appropriately renaming the Smithills site “Old Links”.
The original course was laid out in 1912 by architect Mr R. Hermon Crook, the preliminary work being carried out by G E Vickers, the greenkeeper.
Later Mr H. S. Colt was consulted and made suggestions as to the order in which holes were played. The present clubhouse was built in 1913 at a cost of £3,000, and was designed with the possibility of conversion to two dwellings should the project fail. Like many clubhouses of this vintage it has had many alterations, add-ons and improvements over the ensuing years.
The Club has been the venue for numerous County events including the Lancashire Championship in 1980 and 1996 and again in 2015.